This was the first permanent stone bridge between Pest and Buda. Its official name is Széchenyi Chain Bridge, named after Count István Széchenyi who was one of the leading figures of the intensified efforts for the nation’s independence at beginning of the 19th century. Based on his efforts, the building of the bridge began in 1839 with designs by the English architect Tierney W. Clarke. The construction was led by Scotsman Adam Clark, who, after completion of the bridge in 1849, settled himself in Hungary. The round about between the tunnel and the Chain Bridge bears his name.
The two river piers built in Classicist style carry the iron chains, on which the road of the bridge hang, hence the name Chain Bridge.
The lions on both ends of the bridge are the work of the sculptor János Marschalkó. It is a popular legend among the people of Pest that the Chain Bridge’s lions have no tongues. There is no truth in this, however, as the lions do have tongues, though they are only visible from above.
At the end of World War 2 the withdrawing German troops blew up every one of Budapest’s bridges, but the best known Landmark of Budapest and its Symbol was again handed over to traffic on November 21st, 1949, its on 100th anniversary.