Fishermen’s Bastion was built between 1895 and 1902 in Neo-Gothic style. It was designed and built by Frigyes Schulek.
In the Medieval age this part of the castle wall was guarded by the guild of fishermen, it was named after that. Obviously, the present Fishermen’s Bastion has never had any role of defence. It is a spectacular looking-out terrace, with impressive stairs and walking paths. The Pest bank of the river Danube offers its most beautiful view to the capital perhaps from this site whereas, looking from the side of Pest, Fishermen’s Bastion adds up to the beauty of the silhouette of Castle Hill.
The bronze statue of King St. Stephen mounted on a horse can be seen between the bastion and the church. It was erected in 1906.
The pedestal was made based on the plans of Frigyes Schulek in Neo- Romanesque style, with episodes illustrating the King’s life. The sculpture was made by Alajos Stróbl.
Walking further on, we arrive at Hotel Hilton built in 1976 based on the plans of Béla Pintér. It is not only a modern hotel but also a store of several historical findings. It is an interesting fact that the hotel was built by using two famous monuments.
Its northern wing was built over the remnants of the medieval St. Nicholas Cloister, and its southern wing is formed by the walls of the Jesuit college that was built in the 18th century. At the place where the two are joined, we can find the reconstructed Miklós Tower: in 1930 a relief portraying King Matthias was fixed to it.
The square in front of the hotel – Hess András Square – was named after the printer called András Hess who founded the first book-printing house in Hungary in house number 4. Today restaurant Fortuna operates at its place.
The sculpture of Pope Ince IX is standing in the middle of the square. The work of József Demkó, it was erected by the city in 1936, for the 250th anniversary of Buda’s liberation from the Turkish rule. Pope Ince IX initiated to create an alliance against the Turks and he also gave financial assistance for the liberating fights.
The building behind the sculpture is the so-called Red Hedgehog House. It was named after the relief over its gate. Until 1785 the only inn of the castle the “Inn to the red Hedgehog” operated at this place. Theatre performances were also held in its great hall.