The Hungarian State Opera House was constructed in Neo-Renaissance style from 1875 to 1884 by the great Hungarian architect of the 19th century, Miklós Ybl.
On the front facade the four muses of representational art and the statues of the great figures of incidental music already indicate the function of the building from the outside.
Inside, the marble stairs which lead to the boxes are one of Ybl’s most brilliant internal Architectural solutions. The interior is ornamented with frescos and paintings by the best Hungarian painters of the 19th century.
Above the acoustically excellent auditorium one of the most beautiful creations of Hungarian painting, a fresco by Károly Lotz representing Olympus, can be seen.
The best-known works of music literature performed by excellent Hungarian artists can be heard at the Opera House.