The 265-meter-long building with its excellent proportions dominates the view of the Pest bank of the Danube. The architect Imre Steindl used the Neo-Gothic London Parliament in the so-called parliament style as a model when he dreamed of “the House of the Nation”, the symbol devoted to the creation of the Hungarian constitution. Construction began in 1884, and preparations were done in time for the Millennium Celebration of the 1000-years since the Hungarian settlement, but it wasn’t completely finished until 1902.
Its internal architectural solutions are a good fit to the style of the building. Historic classicism, the monumental frescos and wall paintings of historical themes, the rich gold decorations create a worthy exterior for the festive mood of the place where Hungarian laws are made.
Even today the Hungarian parliament meets here, and the President and the Prime Minister also have their offices here.
Since January 1st 2000 the symbol of the Hungarian state, the Holy Crown and the Crown Jewels can be visited here. The Crown of St. Stephen, the country’s founder, together with the Royal Scepter and the Imperial orb are vital symbols for the nation.
In the park in front of the parliament stand the statues of the two great figures of the Hungarian fight for independence, Ferenc Rákóczi II and Lajos Kossuth. The third monument made of gray granite honors the heroes and victims of the revolution of 1956 with an eternal flame.